How to Find the Topside Inn
Our bed and breakfast in Boothbay Harbor is just a short drive from Portland, Maine and a reasonable distance from many other popular New England destinations. Our historic bed and breakfast is easily found atop McKown Hill on the Maine coast.
Traveling to Maine by Air?
The closest airports to us are:
- Portland, Maine (PWM; 60 miles/75-90 minutes)
- Manchester, New Hampshire (MHT; 150 miles/3 hours)
- Boston (BOS; 170 miles/3 hours, 20 minutes)
- Bangor, Maine (BGR; 120 miles/2 hours, 20 minutes)
- private airports at Wiscasset (IWI) and Rockland (RKD)
Rental cars are available at all airports and are essential for reaching our location; rental car reservations are strongly recommended. While there are some options for car service from the closest airports, local on-peninsula transportation options are limited.
Leaving the airport
No matter which airport you choose, your goal is to find your way to the Maine Turnpike (I-95). Follow these directions from each, then proceed to the next section of directions below:
- From Portland airport, follow signs for the Maine Turnpike (I-95) North.
- From Manchester airport, merge onto I-293 South, then left onto I-93 North, keep right and take Exit 7 onto NH-101 East. Follow toward Portsmouth, to I-95 North.
- From Logan airport, follow Route 1-A North a short distance to Route 60 West. At the second traffic circle, change to Route 1 North, then continue to I-95 North (distance from airport to interstate is 16 miles).
- From Bangor airport, turn right on Union Street. Just before the interstate, turn left on 16th Street for one block, right on Ohio Street, and then merge onto I-95 South.
From I-95 North
Once on I-95, travel north from New Hampshire into Maine, and use Exit 52 to connect to I-295 North. (Or, from downtown Portland, use I-295 North directly if closer). Follow I-295 North about 20 miles and use Exit 31 at Topsham. Turn right on Route 196 and proceed about 2 miles, through several lights and over the river, to Route 1 North (turn from left lane).
Follow coastal Route 1 North past Bath and continue 10 miles through the village of Wiscasset. After crossing the two bridges over the Sheepscot River, get in the right lane and follow signs to turn RIGHT on Route 27 South, the 'Boothbay Harbor Region.'
*From Route 1 at 27 South - the last part of the journey*
Travel on Route 27 South for 11 miles, through Edgecomb and Boothbay, to Boothbay Harbor. Proceed straight ahead at the traffic light (Hannaford market on right). Up the hill, bear right at the bank time/temperature sign onto Oak Street (one-way). Continue one-half mile to turn at the second right, onto Howard Street (Moosehead Coffee on corner).
Continue a short distance, passing the fire station and parking lot. At the end, merge straight ahead and then immediately turn LEFT up the hill on McKown Street (Midtown Motel on corner). Topside Inn is at the top of the hill on the right, with the entrance to our parking lot just before the Main House. Look for the entrance deck and office signs to the right of the wall with our business sign. If you are a new guest please have everyone in your party come to the desk to check-in.
Driving from the North
If you're already on the coast (Camden/Rockland to Bar Harbor): just follow Route 1 South, past Damariscotta and Newcastle, to left turn on Route 27 South - if you reach Wiscasset, you've gone too far. Then follow the section 'From Route 1 at 27 South' above.
Traveling on I-95 from the north (inland/upstate, Waterville, Bangor): follow I-95 South past Augusta, use Exit 103 to I-295 South, then Exit 43 and turn left on Route 197 East. Follow Route 197 about 5 miles to end at stop sign in Richmond. Turn left, and after one quarter mile, bear right to stay on Route 197 East. Follow across two bridges to end at stop sign, and turn left to stay on Route 197. Follow to end at stop sign in Dresden, and turn right on Route 27 South. Follow Route 27 about 8 miles to end at stop sign in Wiscasset, and turn left onto Route 1 North. Continue through Wiscasset, across the two bridges, and turn right on Route 27 South. Then follow the section 'From Route 1 at 27 South' above.