Things to Do in Boothbay Harbor
The Best Boothbay Harbor Activities and Attractions
Our treasured in-town location provides a relaxing vacation with a quick one-minute walk to local Boothbay Harbor, Maine attractions and activities including restaurants, shops, art galleries, the famous footbridge across inner harbor, and the waterfront. There is never a shortage of things to do in Boothbay Harbor and we guarantee that there is something for every type of vacationer to enjoy. Plan ahead with the suggestions and links of things to do in and around town below and our on-site concierge services will help you plan your day. We also maintain a bulletin board of current activities to reference at your convenience. To ensure that you don’t miss out on any of these things to do in Boothbay Harbor, Maine, check our list of recommendations below.
For even more information on all the great Boothbay Harbor, Maine attractions and activities, download our Free Vacation Guide!
On the Water
There a number of things to do in Boothbay Harbor that involved water fun! One of the best activities to enjoy is an exciting boat ride around the harbor with a dozen boat excursions departing from the piers at the bottom of our hill.
- Rent a kayak and explore the harbor, islands and lighthouses on your own, or enjoy a guided boat tour.
- See the coast from a traditional wooden sailing vessel – Schooner Eastwind, the Lazy Jack, or the friendship sloop Bay Lady.
- Let an experienced naturalist guide you in searching for whales, seals, puffins, and more.
- Take a day trip to magical Monhegan Island.
- Feast at a traditional New England clambake.
- Experience the timeless tradition of lobstering in Maine.
- Visit Burnt Island Lighthouse, a limited summer schedule but the living history museum is worth the trip.
- Or maybe just enjoy a day of old-fashioned angling for the ‘big one’.
When you want to keep your feet on dry land, there’s a bounty of choices of things to do in Boothbay Harbor just a short drive away from the Inn.
- Visit the incredible 250-acre Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens.
- Hike the 30 miles of nature trails preserved and protected by Boothbay Region Land Trust.
- Walk over to Barrett Park and enjoy a picnic and a dip in the water at the head of Linekin Bay.
- Head to Ocean Point, walk along the sea wall and take in the views. Stop at East Boothbay General Store for a treat.
- Learn more about ocean life at the Maine State Aquarium or the weekly Cafe Scientifique lectures sponsored by Bigelow Laboratory.
- Antique car enthusiasts, railroad fans, and history buffs will all enjoy Boothbay Railway Village.
- Hit the links at Boothbay Country Club, a championship 18-hole course with challenging holes on par with the breathtaking vistas.
- Get to the gym, if you must, at our exceptional YMCA, with a reasonable visitors rate and member reciprocity throughout New England.
For those looking for exciting shows and cultural Boothbay Harbor activities, there a number of theaters, events, and more to choose from.
- Don’t miss the show at the historic Opera House, a unique venue for any performance. Check their calendar of great events!
- Take in a first-run movie at the small-town, one-screen Harbor Theater.
- Compete for putt-putt champion at Dolphin Mini Golf, ranked one of the top 10 mini golf courses in the U.S.
- Check out the revue at Carousel Music Theater or the summer theater show at the Boothbay Playhouse.
- You will usually find live music at several night spots in the harbor on weekends, and nightly in the summer.
Shop and Get Artful!
There is truly something for everyone amongst the shops, art galleries, boutiques, and merchants in Boothbay Harbor. If you’re not a shopper but find yourself downtown with time to spare, there a number of downtown things to do in Boothbay, Maine for you to enjoy. You can almost always find ice cream to enjoy or people to watch, or take a relaxing stroll. Our usual walks around town give us some favorite establishments noted here, starting from the bottom of our hill.
- Discover the most unique coastal-inspired accessories for your home at local artist, Alison Evans’s, AE Home.
- Find home decor and gifts and art at Coastal Interiors and Abacus Gallery.
- Visit Memorial Library’s Used Bookstore to find your next bit of leisurely reading.
- Artistic offerings abound – start at the Boothbay Region Art Foundation, then cross the footbridge to see our friends at Joy to the Wind Gallery. First Friday art walks are a great way to visit with artists and tour studios!
- Frozen confections can be found at the Ice Cream Factory and WannaWaf.
- Find unique treats at Eventide Specialties, Coastal Maine Popcorn, and Orne’s Candy Store.
Heading Off the Rock
Boothbay Harbor is ideally situated as a base for exploring the midcoast region. Plan to stay a while – there is some great exploring to do.
- If you travel south, stop in busy Wiscasset for the interesting shops, visit Castle Tucker and Nickels-Sortwell House museums.
- Historic Bath and the Maine Maritime Museum are a great day-trip destination.
- Our rocky coastline offers few sandy beaches, but Popham State Beach and Reid State Park are on peninsulas south of Bath.
- Brunswick has a lively Maine Street, great restaurants, the Maine State Music Theather and Bowdoin College.
- The midcoast shopping mecca Freeport, home to LL Bean and 200 other upscale outlets, can be reached in 45 minutes or less.
- Drive the River Road north to Damariscotta, and on down to Pemaquid Lighthouse, one of the most photographed locations in Maine.
- Visit nearby Rockland for the Farnsworth Museum, Owl’s Head Transportation Museum, a fun visit in town, and possibly dinner at Primo.
- Camden offers shops and galleries in town, and the auto road to the north that leads to the top of Mt. Battie
For more information about all the fun and exciting things to do in Boothbay Harbor, download our Free Vacation Guide.
Also, find all the best places to dine with our list of recommended restaurants in the area!